Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » syntax problems using sqlplus in msdos prompt
syntax problems using sqlplus in msdos prompt [message #372419] Sun, 11 February 2001 02:21 Go to next message
timmy
need to run catobtk.sql from oracle home\rdbms\admin, requires connecting to oracle as the sys user with sqlplus and executing a sql statement using a ms-dos window....when i get the prompt i should be able to enter:C:\> sqlplus sys/sys password...........then sql> @catobtk.sql..............................
i can get into sql, but i get prompted <user name> after i enter sys, i get prompted for the user password...i cannot get past this...is there a proper syntax for entering the password in ms-dos........? thanks
Re: syntax problems using sqlplus in msdos prompt [message #372426 is a reply to message #372419] Mon, 12 February 2001 10:01 Go to previous message
Bala
Hi,
you can directly enter the whole connection string in the enter user_name: prompt
like user_name: sys/syspwd@db1
here db1 is your database service name.
(if you have only one database and configured it as you default sid then you don't need to specify the database alias name)

still if can't log on....
sometimes when you install oracle client tools it will install more than one version of sqlplus exe programs.
For instance you might have configured your Net8 assist to talk to the database, so your sqlplus version 8.x would work here, but if you have sqlplus version 3.3 installed in your PC or server you have to use sqlnet configuraion assistant to create a database alias, to use sqlplus3.3.

Other wise avoid to use sqlplus 3.3 version.

when you try to launch sqlplus from dos, it may start the sqlplus 3.3 version instead of 8.x
this may be the reason why you are getting error.

Try to specify which version you want to use, by exactly giving the path of the exe at the dos prompt ... like this
C:> c:\orawin95\bin\plus80w sys/syspwd@db1 @oracle_home\rdbms\admin\carobtk.sql

Bala
Previous Topic: What is the Query?
Next Topic: How to select values between today minus 3 months ant today minus 2 months
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 18:38:40 CDT 2024