Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Couldn't start Management Server
Couldn't start Management Server [message #50078] Wed, 27 February 2002 07:05 Go to next message
Hendrik
I have problem.
I installed Oracle 8.1.7 Personal Edition on WIndows 2000 Server.
I installed Oracle Personal Edition & Oracle Management Server.
I've already created an repository
Username: TEKAD
Password: password
service: TEKADDB

Then I tried to start OracleOraHome81ManagementServer, but it fail.
I got 2 different message:
"Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
and
I got message from Microsoft Management Console
"Could not start OracleOraHome81ManagementServer service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator"

Did I do something wrong? How about your database & Management Server now, it is work well? Please give me suggestion.

Thx
Re: Couldn't start Management Server [message #50082 is a reply to message #50078] Wed, 27 February 2002 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
I had a similar problem when I installed a lower version after installing a higher version. Not sure if this applies to you but I beleive the older version wrote over DLLs and it hosed it. When I reinstalled everything starting with the old up to the new (obviously in seperate ORACLE_HOMEs) it worked fine and I didn't have any more problems. Just a thought!
I had the EXACT same problem and this is how I did [message #50085 is a reply to message #50078] Wed, 27 February 2002 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heloisa
Check if the parameter SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES is set to (NTS)
Also, check the oracleora81sysmanlogoms.nohup log file and you'll probably find this error message: ORA-12640-Authentication adapter initialization failed.

I looked up info about this and found that it is a bug. This problem occurs on windows 2000 only, not on windows NT4.

This is the info I got:
bug:1397927 is about when using SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
in sqlnet.ora the 8.1.7.0.0 service won't open the database with an ora-12640 in the ORACLE_HOMEdatabaseoradim.log. the fix is on metalink -> product:sql*Net, Platform:MS Windows NT patch 1522966.
You need to have the following entry's in the registry in HKLMSOFTWAREORACLEHOMEx location.
where x = from 0 to ...
Note: You can check if you are using the right oracle_home by the ORACLE_HOME (gives the path) and ORACLE_HOME_NAME (gives the oracle home name)
in the HKLMSOFTWAREORACLEHOMEx key.
Replace the _SID_ in the following entry's with the SID of you database.

But I didn't do any of this. Instead, I just changed the sqlnet_authentication_services parameter (that was set to NTS) to NONE. It worked for me.

Heloisa
Re: I had the EXACT same problem and this is how I did [message #50087 is a reply to message #50078] Wed, 27 February 2002 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hendrik
Where should I go to change the sqlnet_authentication_services parameter?
Should I go from C: prompt or go to the file, or something else.

Thx for your help
Re: I had the EXACT same problem and this is how I did [message #52692 is a reply to message #50078] Tue, 06 August 2002 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vic Zangla
Thank you Heloisa.
Re: I had the EXACT same problem and this is how I did [message #53595 is a reply to message #50078] Tue, 01 October 2002 03:07 Go to previous message
Dominic Cotton
Hi,

I followed your comments as per your message. I had a similar problem, however mine was not with OMS. It was with a third-party piece of software called StreamServe. I could not get an ODBC connection active using Streamserve until I changed the calue NTS to NONE. However, after changing this value, my automated script to bring down my database prior to backing it up now fails with error message as below: -

I execute...
"connect internal/manager"
and get...
"ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied"

If I change the parameter back to NTS then the connect string above works but my ODBC Connection doesn't. As per above, it would appear that it is an error between Win2K and Oracle 8.1.7 but I can find no patches, etc... to fix this. Has anybody else had the same effects as me after changing this parameter? Any help would be gratefully received... please e-mail me with any help...

THanks in advance,
Dominic Cotton
Previous Topic: DBA General Question
Next Topic: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:44:41 CDT 2024