Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Drop User forcefully.
Drop User forcefully. [message #51053] Tue, 23 April 2002 04:07 Go to next message
Radharaman
One oracle session is still active for the user that I wish to drop, with no corresponding process. If I use
select USER#, USERNAME, SID, SERIAL#, process from v$session where USERNAME='ARTREP'; Then output is:
USER# USERNAME SID SERIAL# PROCESS
---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ---------- ---------
43 ARTREP 112 16211

that is blank process.
After killing this session at SQL prompt the status of sessoin becomes killed.
But, still I am not able to drop the user as error ORA-01940 comes. Can anyone suggest what can be done now, other than restarting the oracle.

Thanks in advance.
- RRL
Re: Drop User forcefully. [message #51054 is a reply to message #51053] Tue, 23 April 2002 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rama Aluri
Hi
Just give some time after u kill the session ..
later try with option like "DROP USER XY CASCADE;".
This may slove u r problem.
Re: Drop User forcefully. [message #51071 is a reply to message #51053] Tue, 23 April 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
Once you kill a session, that session is marked 'killed' but may show up in the query as you have done above. This is perfectly NORMAL. Just give some time, before system clears it up. Don't worry, the session has already been KILLED.
Re: Drop User forcefully. [message #51078 is a reply to message #51053] Tue, 23 April 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radharaman
Its already more than 7 hours after I killed the session. Still, I cannot drop the user.
Re: Drop User forcefully. [message #51201 is a reply to message #51053] Tue, 07 May 2002 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irfan
try using

alter system kill session 'sid,serial#' immediate
or
alter system disconnect session 'sid,serial#' immediate

perhaps "immediate" clause would terminate the session immediately or forcefully. though i hvent used it myself, you try and if it works, let me know ;)
Re: Drop User forcefully. [message #52991 is a reply to message #51053] Thu, 22 August 2002 23:25 Go to previous message
Pasi
I'm sorry Radharaman but IMO you should be put so far from Oracle as possible...
I just hope no-one tried your "advice".

The real reason is that the user will show as long on the sessions-list as the connected client process is still running.

Pasi
Previous Topic: REAL EXAMINATION QUESTIONS FOR SOLARIS CERTIFICATION
Next Topic: DBA help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:31:23 CDT 2024