Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Storing Special characters in the Database
Storing Special characters in the Database [message #52140] Thu, 04 July 2002 09:58 Go to next message
Sulaiman Gboyega N.
Hi All,

I am confronted with this situation where I need to insert special characters in my database tables (characters with ASCII code between 0-255) and I am getting ORA-01756 quoted string not properly terminated.

I have taken steps in direction of setting NLS_LANG variable properly.

I set NLS_LANG on UNIX to WE8ISO8859P1 and
Recreated the database with NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1, but still I could not insert these special characters.

Please Help, urgently.

Thank you all.

Sulaiman.
Re: Storing Special characters in the Database [message #52149 is a reply to message #52140] Fri, 05 July 2002 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
Hi,

It's seem taht you don't have correctly terminated the quoted string.. if not ... can you show us the command syntax you use ....
Re: Storing Special characters in the Database [message #52155 is a reply to message #52149] Fri, 05 July 2002 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sulaiman Gboyega N.
Thanks B. Unless I need to use a different syntax when I am inserting special characters, I did it the normal way I insert into a table.

Because I anticipate special characters, all datatypes are VARCHAR2.

I wanted to paste the actual statement here but the special characters didn't show. That's why I used abc,xyz,ft and ggg as placeholders for them.

There were no single quotes in the values as well.

INSERT INTO ENCRYPT_TEST ( GROUP_NAME, TABLENAME, PRIORITY, LOAD) VALUES ('abc', 'xyz', 'ft','ggg')

Re: Storing Special characters in the Database [message #52187 is a reply to message #52149] Mon, 08 July 2002 04:16 Go to previous message
B
I know it's not a easy way to use, but did you try tou insert the character with the ASCII code ? You cans use 'select CHR(210) from dual;' to display the special character ASCII code 210 ( so you can also use it to insert special character 210 ). May be you should use sqlloader .... Or wait for someone with much experiences with special character .. Sorry...
Previous Topic: imp
Next Topic: Re: ORA-01092: Oracle instance terminated. Disconnection forced. error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 02:57:54 CDT 2024