Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » CPU 100%.for a database ....and never ends......Why this happens........
CPU 100%.for a database ....and never ends......Why this happens........ [message #52194] Mon, 08 July 2002 07:40 Go to next message
rajesh
We run three instance for the three databases simultaneously.But only one database which is very large always give prolems like 100 percent CPU usage and never ends(When you see the Task Manager),regardless of the database access.This happens atleast once in every two months.In this case if I shutdown the database using Immediate option it takes, forever.so I use Abort.And if i start the database again, after few minutes the problem(CPU 100%) starts and never ends.
Why this happens?
and What is the permanent solution?
Re: CPU 100%.for a database ....and never ends......Why this happens........ [message #52197 is a reply to message #52194] Mon, 08 July 2002 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Look into the oracle background process. Any/many of them may be reason for this.
for example the SMON wakes itself every few minutes and checks for tablespaces with default
pctincrease not equal to 0
similarly there are many considerations.
Re: CPU 100%.for a database ....and never ends......Why this happens........ [message #52925 is a reply to message #52194] Wed, 21 August 2002 00:04 Go to previous message
Ron Richardson
Hi,
Out of interest what version of Oracle are you using? A bug (1210242) in 8.1.5/8.1.6, on systems affected by this bug, Oracle will fail to share cursors for the duration of the instance-wide timed_statistics = true setting. This caused my system to sit at 100% CPU util. But it depends on the type of applications run against the database, and its probably a long shot in this case.

Best Regards Ron Richardson Oracle DBA
Previous Topic: Creating second instance
Next Topic: a problem of dbms_job.submit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:36:26 CDT 2024