Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » NMI errors after reboot
NMI errors after reboot [message #52265] Thu, 11 July 2002 10:21 Go to next message
TomY
Although I have been an Oracle SQL coder for a number of years, I am now working on a project that requires a local copy of the database running, so I am having to learn the server end of the game.

After installing 8.1.7 on my Win 2K server, I was able to load the client data and work for a couple of weeks.

This morning I loaded the Microsoft Q318138-Unchecked buffer and Q320920-WMP 6.4 security update patches -- which required a reboot.

After the reboot I was unable to connect to the database from TOAD. When I checked in DBA Studio (as a sysDBA), I could see that the database was not started. Efforts to start the database result in the little red stop-sign on the "Starting up the database" step, but no other error messages visible in the interface.

TNSping showed that the listener was active, but I am seeing the following error as the first entry in NMI.log:
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
A number of additional entries follow, though all of these are:
TNS-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed

I am unsure if these are a result of the reboot or of the patches to the OS, and would appreciate any assitance in getting this problem solved.

Thanks in advance.

:Tom
Re: NMI errors after reboot [message #52267 is a reply to message #52265] Thu, 11 July 2002 11:20 Go to previous message
christopher
You need to look to see if your Oracle Service is started. In order for Oracle to run on NT/2K/XP you must have an Oracle Service. If the service is not running, the database is not able to be started.

To start the Oracle Service from the dos prompt:
C:> oradim -startup -sid INSTANCE_NAME

If you want the service to start anytime you reboot from now on:
C:oradim -edit -sid INSTANCE_NAME -startmode auto
Previous Topic: dbms version??
Next Topic: Re: NMI errors after reboot
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:41:08 CDT 2024