Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » patchset 8.1.7.4
patchset 8.1.7.4 [message #52729] Thu, 08 August 2002 10:36 Go to next message
Paul
Hello, I hope somebody can answer my following question.
I have 8.1.7.0.0 SE on Win2K Server. Because of application requirements, we
must go to the latest patch 8.1.7.4. (Patchset::2376472 ).
Now, in the install instructions, there are multiple steps listed. First, you
use an OIU like tool to install, and just follow the instructions.
Then there are several other steps listed in the instructions like invoking
sqlplus, run some statements etc..
But what if no database is present yet. Then only the OUI can be done.
So, in this case, just running the OUI is ok?
We have no database yet, because the application vendor will create one, but
expects Oracle to be on level 8.1.7.4
Thanks in advance !
Re: patchset 8.1.7.4 [message #52739 is a reply to message #52729] Fri, 09 August 2002 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
Just running the patch on top of the base installation (8.1.7) is fine.

The extra steps about running catalog scripts will be implemented WHEN the database is created.

Good luck.
Re: patchset 8.1.7.4 [message #52757 is a reply to message #52729] Sun, 11 August 2002 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dileep Dharma
Hi,

Actually i am facing the same problem! I am trying to install oracle 8.1.7 on sun solaris 8 (sun sparc machine). Basically, the oracle software gets installed properly ! It fails in the end during db creation.

The software throws "unable to Connect To Oracle" error. Basically,it is not able to create the oracle instance. Also, the control files are not available. So i cant even startup using a manually created pfile.

I have not installed any patches as yet. Its mentioned in the documentation to install the given patch after installing oracle. Though we can install the patch after oracle installation but how is it going to help incase the oracle instance itself is not available.

I have tried this installation and reinstallation couple of times in last 5 days following each step properly. (Except the step for installation of patches)

Kindly provide information about the patches which need to be installed in this environment
[[ oracle 8.1.7 on sun solaris 8 (sun sparc machine) ]]

Or is there any other reason why it fails during creating the db (either default or manually)

Thanks and Regards,
Dileep Dharma
Re: patchset 8.1.7.4 (Problem Solved) [message #52764 is a reply to message #52757] Mon, 12 August 2002 07:14 Go to previous message
Dileep Dharma
Hi All,

Well after struggling for last 6 days on this installation ultimately we succeeded today !

There is 1 parameter value which played so much !

semsys:seminfo_semmns must be set to 1000 instead of 10 or 100 !

Thats all !

Basically, i think, oracle takes a lot of memory for installation and starting and creating db ! So installation fails just during db creation as lot of processing has been done so far !

I got this info from orafaq site itself ! Person named "GRANT" has supplied it actually !

Thanks and Regards,

Dileep Dharma
Previous Topic: Re: More than one database
Next Topic: What does 'i' stand for in Oracle 8i, 9i, etc.,???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:54:26 CDT 2024