Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Insufficient Privileges in Oracle!!!
Insufficient Privileges in Oracle!!! [message #52788] Wed, 14 August 2002 03:10 Go to next message
S.Choudhury
Hi,

I am facing one problem. Currently I am working in Oracle9i. I installed Oracle9i Release 9.0.1.1.1. in my Windows NT machine. I can connect to my database from my workstation as SYS ie. through the command: CONNECT SYS/TESTDBA AS SYSDBA. But when I try to do the same command to access the same database from another client machine (Windows NT) it is giving "ERROR: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges". I tried to change REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to EXCLUSIVE and SHARED but same error is coming. I also tried to change REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=NONE and include that windows user_id into ORA_DBA Group, still it doesn't solve the problem.

I will be grateful if anyone can help me on this regard.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Soumyendu
Re: Insufficient Privileges in Oracle!!! [message #52792 is a reply to message #52788] Wed, 14 August 2002 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
did you set your sid ?
Set ORACLE_SID=<SID>

Re: Insufficient Privileges in Oracle!!! [message #52799 is a reply to message #52788] Wed, 14 August 2002 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
When connecting from remote client you have to user the service name of the remote db. It has to be setup in the local client tnsnames.ora file.

Then do that:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [[Version 5.00.2195]]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:WINNTsystem32>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.1 - Production on Wed Aug 14 16:43:47 2002

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> conn sys/secret@db-ora2-db15 as sysdba
Connected.
SQL>

Regarding setting REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE parameter good examples are provided Here and Here

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Insufficient Privileges in Oracle!!! [message #52838 is a reply to message #52799] Thu, 15 August 2002 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S.Choudhury
Hi Trifon,
The remote db name was already in tnsnames.ora in
Oracle9i client. I checked up with sqlplus /nolog from
client, but no success, same error! But "connent
sys/secret as sysdba" is working fine from server
machine. I changed the setup of
REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD_FILE to NONE, still no success.
Regards,
Soumyendu
Re: Insufficient Privileges in Oracle!!! [message #52845 is a reply to message #52788] Fri, 16 August 2002 05:13 Go to previous message
Grant
When connecting to a remote DB as sysdba you have to have a password file set up and REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE This is the mechanism that allows you to do this when you need to connect as sysdba remotely. Use:

orapwd file=/oradb/d1/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/orapwmess password=manager entries=10

Note the password file needs to be in ORACLE_HOME/dbs with the format orapwSID where SID is your DB name.
Previous Topic: Unable to "write-lock" a table/schema/database fror a user
Next Topic: ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 9 - see DBWR trace file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:50:14 CDT 2024