Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 9i environment on standalone PC
Oracle 9i environment on standalone PC [message #52796] Wed, 14 August 2002 07:00 Go to next message
arnshch
I have standalone 512MB RAM, 40GB HD PC with Windows XP Pro and Red Hat Linux 7.3.
What I want to install there is the Oracle 9i database
Personal Edition. In order to be able code and run
PL/SQL applications acting on the database tables
should I necessarilly install both Oracle 9i Server and Client, or will just Server suffice?
Also, how can I link Windows and Linux so that I will
be able to develop PL/SQL applications in Windows, but run them as Unix batch jobs?
Re: Oracle 9i environment on standalone PC [message #52798 is a reply to message #52796] Wed, 14 August 2002 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
You need to install only the 9i Server. Then write your PL/SQL code and run it from sqlplus:

SQL>exec plsql_procedure();

or

SQL>select plsql_function() from dual;

You don't have to install the client at all.

Not so clear on the second question ?? If you have one box, then you can run one of the OS - Win or Linux. To run them both you have to use some virtual machine - VMWare, lin4win, etc.

There is no difference in developing PL/SQL code on Windows or Linux. Of course only in your favorite text editor. Stick with whatever OS you feel more comfortable with.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Oracle 9i environment on standalone PC [message #52815 is a reply to message #52798] Thu, 15 August 2002 07:39 Go to previous message
arnshch
Thanks,alot for quick response.
Concerning another question I know there is no difference in writing the code either on Windows,
or Unix. The actual question was(bear with me this,
please): Say, I got some type of PL/SQL development
tool on Windows and Oracle Server is also on Windows,
but I want to execute transaction(which might consist of several different packages/procedures) through the Unix script, as the Unix batch job, since the data
feed for the transaction is in Unix files.
What do I have to do setup-wise(if anything) for my Unix script to upload the data to the database tables
and execute the PL/SQL packages/procedures?
Previous Topic: ora:00600 & ora-01033
Next Topic: Recovering the data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:04:13 CDT 2024