Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Index on foreign key
Index on foreign key [message #52926] Wed, 21 August 2002 00:08 Go to next message
Nicolette Verdugt
Is it necessary to have an index on every foreign key?
I am reviewing a very complex database with many relations. The DBA made an index on every foreign key and this results in some tables with more than 10 indexes. I think this is bad for performance on database manipulations.
What to do?
Re: Index on foreign key [message #52938 is a reply to message #52926] Wed, 21 August 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
it depends.
But i would recomend to create indexes on both primary
and foregin key, so as to avoid DEADLOCKS and prevent
an ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource

Re: Index on foreign key [message #52961 is a reply to message #52938] Wed, 21 August 2002 14:56 Go to previous message
andrew again
Well it won't necessarily give you deadlock errors. The reason that you need them is that if you lock a row in a parent table (select... for update OR update OR delete a row) then the whole child table will get locked if there is a FK constraint between parent and child. That will mean that a second user won't be able to get a row lock at the parent table level until the first user has commit/rollback.

If this doesn't apply to you then it's probably not an issue. The FK doesn't have to have it's own index. It can use leading columns of other indexes already existing on the table.
Previous Topic: Alternate for Global temporary tables
Next Topic: Error 997 ....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:38:59 CDT 2024